Adding French menus to your WordPress Multilingual site
One of the reasons WordPress is a great tool for building websites is the fact that there are so many terrific plugins available for it. One of those plugins is called WordPress Multilingual (WPML) and what it does is expand the toolset to allow the site admin to serve up their content in multiple languages all within the same navigation framework. Awesome!
Once you have all of your content translated and you are tweaking the look and feel of your site across languages one thing you will need to deal with is your custom menus. WPML has thought of this and makes it fairly simple for you to build in a second menu structure using the same tools you did to create the main menu.
Here’s how (screenshots below text):
- Go to Appearance/Menus
- Select which menu you wish to translate
- Click the Translations link which is above the Save Menu button
- Give the new menu a name and click the Create Menu button
- Add your menu items as you would normally. Example:
- if you are adding pages then scroll down until you see the Pages list
- select the ones you wish to add to this menu by checking them off
- click Add to Menu
- click and drag to reorder
- click the Save Menu button